|
Monday, May 20, 2002
We went to two parks today. The first was in the morning with Ryan's preschool class. It was like an end-of-the-year picnic, I suppose, since the school year is over on Wednesday (but he's starting summer school in June). They got McDonald's food for everyone and Kyle did quite well eating some of my chicken strips (not the nuggets), complete with barbecue sauce. When we got home just after 12:30, both kids fell asleep within about 5 minutes and slept until 2:30 or so, nearly time to go to the next park for playgroup! We were at the other park from about 3:30 until 5:00, then went home where Kyle promptly fell asleep again and Ryan went to play in our new sandbox. So it's been a very outdoorsy day around here, as well as a sleepy one!
Ryan said two things today that blew me away. On the way home from playgroup, he asked if bunny was another way to say rabbit. I said yes, and he said, "They're synonyms." I almost drove off the road! I told Mark and he said, "Oh yeah, we talk about that a lot--I had to tell him about synonyms because he wanted to know the opposite of opposite." Then just a few minutes ago, he came in from the back porch and said, "Mommy, 12 plus 4 is 16!" He had figured this out by counting his new box of sidewalk chalk and dividing it into one group of 12 and one group of 4 and counting each group, then counting all of it. Mark has also been reading him a pre-math book on sorting from the library this week, so I guess it's sinking in. But I wasn't even sure he could count to 16! It's freaking me out to think that he probably won't even start kindergarten for 2 more years...
posted by Alison at 6:36 PM
|