Life As We Know It

 




Bits and pieces of daily life in our family

Dellenbaugh Central

Current

This page is powered by Blogger, the easy way to update your web site.

 
Saturday, September 01, 2001

We don't have a son named Ryan anymore--he has turned into Rolie Polie Olie, or so he says. I tried to warn him that when he goes back to preschool next week, people might call him Ryan, since they won't know he's Olie. He said, "They will call me Olie 'cause I are Olie." Meanwhile, I've gone a little bonkers trying to buy him some Olie merchandise on eBay since it's impossible to find in stores... Poor Clifford has fallen by the wayside--ah, how quickly they forget! Ryan--whoops, I mean Olie--is also crazy about the show Out of the Box.

We thought he was potty trained for a while there, but he keeps us on our toes. He'll be dry for a few days, then have 3 accidents in one day! Hopefully he won't get kicked out of school. ;-) He's also started lying about that and other things, something we hope to nip in the bud! One day he volunteered that he had spilled his lemonade. Only when I went to clean it up did I realize he'd actually peed on the floor! And today when he kept playing during naptime and Mark went to tell him to go to sleep, he countered with the amazing claim, "I am sleeping!"

Kyle, meanwhile, is trying to crawl and to pull up to standing, and he's not going to rest until he does! He is easily distracted from his efforts, but does not want to sleep, no matter how cranky he gets. He cries vigorously for long periods when he needs to sleep, and we've had to resort to driving around to get him to sleep on several occasions this week--ugh. He gets around in a very cute and innovative way at the moment. He can get himself into a sitting position, so he will sit, lunge to the ground again, wiggle around or put his head on the floor and move the rest of his body, and then sit again in a different place, and by this combination of sitting, lunging, pivoting, and sitting again he can get across the room. It's not particularly efficient, though, and I wouldn't be surprised if he masters "real" crawling today! He's done it for a few inches but soon gets distracted by toys.

We can often get Kyle to laugh hysterically lately by pretending to sneeze! The other night, Mark and I were both doing it and Kyle actually fell over twice because he was so overcome by big belly laughs. He was also shrieking in anticipation whenever we'd start! He is also babbling a lot lately and making what sounds like words (even "mama" and "dad" and "hi," but I think they were all accidental). And he is trying to make some gestures, also. Whenever I start singing and/or clapping, he gets very excited and tries to clap (not quite succeeding, but definitely trying), and today when we were waving hi to him, he moved his fingers (fingers only, not his arm or hand) in a cute little wave!


 

Go to:
Dellenbaugh Central
Family Photo Album